Skip to main content

A Dedication

As my sufferings mounted I soon realized that there were two ways in which I could respond to my situation -- either to react with bitterness or seek to transform the suffering into a creative force. I decided to follow the latter course.” 
 Martin Luther King Jr.

                       There was profound stillness, the crowd was solemnly grave. I and my sister were ushered from school. I could see my father standing in the midst of our neighbours with tear filled eyes. We faltered to enter the veranda. I gazed at my father questioningly; he gently took me near my mother’s lifeless body.  I was distressed. How could my mother who had consecrated me with good wishes at half past eight breathe her last? Tears didn’t gush as it takes time to come to terms to not many realities in life. In one of the rooms my brother was inconsolable however weeping copiously was my eldest sister who was no more than twenty one years of age. She was called “Rani” by my parents may be because she reigned a position of supremacy in their lives. She was left at Kerala with my grandmother for twelve years and joined us when we moved to Hyderabad. A hard working and assiduous person, her days were spent in studying and learning to organize her pursuits towards her goals. Her favourite place was the room near the kitchen where we had another veranda. When it would begin turning dark in the room at dusk she would move to the veranda and study. She was my mother’s fine companion as she bore a mature demeanour and was a patient listener. My father was posted at Delhi which brought both of them much closer. Her chief pastime was to study and of course listen to music. We were younger than her and never very stern about our studies as she. On completing her graduation in commerce she expressed her desire to be a chartered Accountant and so she was placed in this course shelling out a little money for the article ship. I still remember that she had also obtained a job in the Telephone Department but she refused to accept it expressing her desire to pursue her dream. My father a gregarious person seconded this despite the fact that our needs were growing and the finances were dwindling. My mother at last got hold of her to apply for a job in the Reserve Bank of India. She had fared very well as usual but had no intention of taking up the job.  And then there was a terrible blow of events with the demise of my mother. Days passed by, I was to appear for my tenth standard boards, my other sister her twelfth standard boards and my brother was pursuing MBBS. My father had taken four months of leave of absence from his job to manage us.  My sister began helping my father taking up the meticulousness of my mother but seldom neglected her studies. She was intelligent to sense that her involvement in her own life had set time for her siblings to enjoy life and move away from their goals. When she came to know that she had cleared the Bank exam, she decided to quit her article ship and take up the job considering that her siblings were more in need of her valuable time and governance. Adversities are a part of life but my sister had forfeited her dreams with a strength to persist through obstacles in  life and bring elation in the lives of her siblings. Time is a great healer and with time we overcame the sorrow but her sacrifice remained ignored almost certainly proving that she has always reigned  supremacy in our lives too.

Comments

  1. Dear Jo,

    I started reading this and then never stopped till I read all your posts. They are so personal, filled with pain and joy too. This one I could fully identify with. I remmebered your home and the various rooms that day when we came to see you from school on heraing the news. It was beyond belief for any of us to lose a parent at such a young age. But all 5 of you hung together and did so well. Its all due to your mother's blessings. Rupa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rupa ,
      Thanks a lot for reading the post and of course I remember your support. You were the most mature in the whole lot and a very close friend of mine. I could see you feel very bad and you wanted to revert the situation but couldn't , your feelings so well written on your face,I still remember that. I began writing about all the beautiful people in this world ,the list is endless but through this blog I could at least thank my sister who still does endlessly for us. Keep reading the blog and pl tag to those who will appreciate the values associated.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online