Skip to main content

Camaraderie



Sometimes, reaching out and taking someone's hand is the beginning of a journey. Vera Nazarian

The soft tune of the mobile ring broke the profound silence. My sister  answered the phone in a low  voice. We could hear her assure the caller that my father was truly at peace then and that he could go to Kerala for his holidays. We understood that it was Prabeesh, the male nurse from Red cross who had been a help for my father. Memories deluged as we remembered the day he was appointed. He was just in his late teens, lean, bony and shy. He was trained in a few basics of nursing by Red cross society in Kerala. It was his first job and we wondered whether he could manage my father who was in poor health. His job was to be a companion and look after my father who was gradually losing his muscular coordination due to neuro muscular degeneration. 
The worst part was my father who could never sit at home, lived a sedentary life. He was intellectually safe. He had slowly begun resigning to his fate. This young boy was trained further and within a few weeks he knew my father extremely well. He would administer insulin injection painlessly, take care of him lovingly in spite of my father’s mood swings. He called him ‘Muthacha’in Malayalam which means ‘Grandfather.' He spoke Malayalam and my father being a native of Alappuzha in Kerala felt at home conversing back. There was a maid to wash and clean, all the meals were provided by my sisters and brothers who also got an opportunity to meet them regularly. 
Prabeesh was punctual in following the charted timetable while  taking care of my father tenderly. As a sport, they played games and playfully he would help my father exercise and practise writing. My father was meticulous, an early riser who wished to have his bath twice a day and all his rituals as he had throughout his life.   We felt the adoration and a bond of camaraderie strengthen between them. Prabeesh learnt speaking English and  improved on his content through long discussions on various subject matters with my father. They shared their fondness of watching  television programmes and serials together. 
He had gained a prominent place in my father’s life, and my father would never agree to let him go to Kerala to visit his mother. He once went after three months but was back soon, the second time he was given a choice of another assignment by the Red cross who have the work ethics of changing the nurse periodically. Perhaps it was work pressure or an aspiration for more wealth which made him accept another assignment at Hyderabad. My sister in law tried her level best to convince the authorities, but it was vain. My father kept probing about Prabeesh, he missed him, and we could initially see his frustration,  slowly the realisation lead him into a depression. He was brave and accepted  this reality of life. There was another  male nurse appointed  from a local hospital, but my father never felt happy with him as he had lost faith in people. 
The new Nurse was older and had the least respect for the job. Though we were looking out for a better person we could not get one. One day everyone was ushered at three in the afternoon by the nurse saying that my father was unconscious. It was found that he had left us peacefully in his afternoon nap. I could reach only the next morning. We had begun the funeral rites and it was then that Prabeesh had called my sister from the railway station on the way to Kerala, to enquire about my father. He wanted to come back to take care of my father. My sister felt that she would break the news when he would reach Kerala. We knew the affection he had for my father. Though they were living apart they craved for each other’s company, for fulfilling their own emotional needs. Who says indebted bonding is only through blood, bonding is where factual warmth lies. My father’s life reminded me of Mother Teresa’s words “There are no great acts. There are only small acts done with great love.”







50th post, dedicated to my late father for having bestowed me with the skill of narration through his own narratives.

Comments

  1. By the time I finished reading I had tears in my eyes.touching!! By the way is that your father's photo?
    Vimala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vimala, Thanks for reading the post. Yeah, that is my father's photograph. There are so many memories associated with his life. He brought us up sharing all that he had. A wonderful parent.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online