Skip to main content

A Promising Tomorrow

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage”  Lao Tzu
I read the article ‘Its Hope that keeps us Going’ by Eziekel Isaac Malekar. It said that ‘Hope’ literally means  expectation and desire combined. Hope though deceitful carries us pleasantly to the end of life as its hope which keeps us alive.
 I read these lines a number of times, each time memories recalled ‘him’. He was there for me and my husband whenever we needed money. He was there to comfort us when we felt we had lost each battle in life advising us to not lose hope. He like everyone else had his mood swings. He was tall and well built. He was agile and could keep anyone busy in a conversation or at work.  He and my father were friends but poles apart in likes and dislikes. He liked reading, but never wrote. He was an ocean of knowledge who would not spare a person till the person heard the whole story. The last time when I met him he definitely seemed older with a beard and a  bent back. He began the conversation, after a while I  rushed to the kitchen only to meet him at the threshold. He had taken the second doorway to reach sooner than me. I sighed then, but today they are pleasant memories. I plainly began being friendly only after I lost my father. 
Whenever we would go to Kerala he would have a list of recipes ready for me. He would love the food I cooked and compliment it. Each day he would ask me if I needed anything from the market. Going to the market, cycling, talking to people, paying the bills, bringing lot of goodies were a few of the things he would carry on regularly. Many a times I would see him getting the house repaired. He was the one who loved the latest electronic gadgets and the lone one there who would look into the cleanliness of the house he had painfully built. He would describe the pain that inspired a homeless to first build a shelter. He believed in saving but always helped people monetarily especially the ones who yearned to study.
  After I lost my father, he would call regularly to speak. Initially, I would end the conversation quickly with the usual greetings but slowly we began speaking about everything in this world. I was learning  to drive for the second time. He would motivate me to learn it soon so that I could help my husband while we were on a long drive, perhaps to Kerala. He would definitely ask me what I  planned to cook. He would ask me guidelines to make it and end saying that I could cook anything well. He was a food-lover and it was a great compliment for me.
Life went on. One day he informed that he was worried about the regular severe backache he had and that he had been advised for a sonography. I could feel the unhappiness in his voice. I told him that it was a procedure followed to know the fact. He bravely went for a sonography which showed a missing vertebra. I wondered when he said that. Was his bone covered by flesh or……… The very next day he was admitted in a hospital and every one of us was informed that there would be a surgery to insert  a rod  in the weak vertebra so that he move on for years. A mandatory biopsy was also to be done. He said ‘Maybe tuberculosis Jyothi’. I now felt he needed to be hopeful, so said ‘may be nothing at all’. He laughed aloud, but  the hollowness in his laughter showed there was something missing in it. My husband, his brothers and my mother -in -law were with him during the operation. At 3.30pm, my husband informed me that his vertebral column had turned into a soft pulp like a banana and a few days later that he was declared to be terminally ill with bone cancer. Each one of us resolved not to disclose this to him. He was weak after the operation, but jubilant that the rod would help him back to cycling and an active life again. He would talk to me each day informing that he was better. I wondered, but hope does heal people. On the fateful day he was rolled into the Oncology Dept, he understood that he had cancer. He overcame that with the thought that worry and fear were of no avail. He repeatedly encountered patients suffering from cancer to overcome the fear of cancer. He was hopeful that he would recover, but he never knew that the vertebra could ever help him stand. He would remain bedridden. My husband took him back home. With a fortnight, he was very unwell. He would talk to me only if I wanted. Every bit showed that he had lost all hopes. I was attending a workshop at FDRC in Delhi, which  made my husband reach Kerala a few days late. He was in a local hospital at Tiruvalla.  He was well-looked after, but his back was sore. My husband was informed that he had stopped eating after he came to know that he would be bedridden. 
All the signs of hope were now missing. He was fed intravenously against his will. My mother in law said that he had read about mercy killing in Jain philosophy and so felt that it was better to fast unto death rather than live a life of dependency. He spoke inaudibly at 2.30pm and left the world tumbling to death at 4.30pm. His philosophy proved to be a deliverance for him, while  his mercy  was a deliverance for others who looked after him. Life has startling twists, but man lives on hope but when hope is lost only our good deeds linger pervading the universe.
A tribute to my late father in law  Shri. R.V. Rao, who left us on the 27th of September 2010.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present." 
 
Bil Keane


Comments

  1. God bless him, and all of you who loved him.
    With advancing years, each of us seeks one last boon from Almighty: God, let me suffer my pain alone - please do not make my loved ones bear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashutosh sir, Thanks for reading. It was exactly this that he felt. Within a mere forty days, we lost the stately personality. Even in his end I felt he had won the battle as always. God bless you with the health, cheer and happiness always.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, Vimala it perhaps carries my guilt of not loving him like my father or because the pain involved is more visible as am growing older.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful narration. Reflects unexpected turns in life, reminds us to live our lives to the fullest today for, we never know what awaits tomorrow.
    May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online