Skip to main content

The Thief of Time

“...the best possible way to prepare for tomorrow is to concentrate with all your intelligence, all your enthusiasm, on doing today's work superbly today. That is the only possible way you can prepare for the future”  Dale Carnegie

He had a clump of curly hair, messy and dishevelled. He bent his head and peered into the paper, he pulled a strand till it stretched straight and then left it to curl again. However, this time the strand stood singled out in the clump in a funny manner.He was wearing a steel band around his wrist. We call it a ‘kada’ in India. It is normally worn by Punjabis, but these days it is in vogue. He kept glancing at me as he rubbed his fingers as if to convince me that he was unable to remember. I kept moving around looking at everyone coldly. There was a lady clad in a sari who occupied the first bench. In a state of anxiety to do well in the exam she overlooked her roll number in the attendance sheet. She looked at me anxiously. I asked her to continue answering the paper as I had three whole hours to solve the problem. I then glanced at this boy who was tall, well-built and dressed in a black shirt swapping his hall ticket with a girl two benches ahead. He flaunted a huge boldly inscribed tattoo on his lower arm but never had a thought for the fleeting time. The girl in the second row with a hair band and clip and lipstick was enthusiastically trying to help two boys at a time. There were many more who were oblivious of my glances as they were busy writing. Perhaps they were well prepared unlike these.The boy in  the black shirt was restless and kept borrowing eraser, sharpener, scale and many more to pass his time. I kept hissing to control them.
The examination hall was filled with twenty-nine students with twenty-nine expressions including the one who was half an hour late. This girl was petite with a forlorn expression. I asked her why was she late. She immediately apologised. I said that she needed to feel sorry for herself as she had lost her time. She smiled back and said she had woken up late. I found a unpreparedness for the exam as she kept turning the pages, scribbling a word or two.
By now the boy with the tattoo came ahead to submit his paper. I reminded him of the backlog exams and  said that he would find it difficult managing examinations of both the years. He mellowed and sat back and tried to answer. There were many times he wished to go, but I did not allow him. A little later he seemed engrossed writing. Perhaps he had got a clue while I completed the formalities of the exam. He now wrote steadily. I wondered whether his intelligence could not be combined with a little preparation to have faired really well. The students were informed about their exams way ahead of time, but many of them feel that there is ample time to prepare and postpone their self-studies.
I recollected the days after I left my job recently to pursue my research. Each night  I would fall asleep cocooned in a soft blanket with very cool wind blowing through the open window. The alarm would ring, but I  would quickly change it  to snooze and slither back to sleep. I  would snooze countless times and wake up late. I always felt guilty for having overslept but convinced myself that I would definitely wake up early the next day. The next day it was never better, I would snooze greater number of times as I  had made it a habit. I began reaching late for my walk, I would recollect the loss of my precious time for research, but the evil spirit in me would convince me saying that it was alright once in a while. Things went on for fifteen days leading me to the realisation that the pleasure of sleeping had led to a loss of the important things in my life. I discovered the thief of my time was none other than procrastination. 
Procrastination is the practice of carrying out less urgent tasks in preference to more urgent ones, or doing more pleasurable things in place of less pleasurable ones, and thus putting off impending tasks to a later time, sometimes to the "last minute" before the deadline. The pleasure principle may be responsible for procrastination; one may prefer to avoid negative emotions, and to delay stressful tasks.(Wikipedia)
I saw my son follow me in all my bad habits. He would never shed his sleep nor watch the beautiful mornings. Perhaps we would have turned into the snooze family but for my husband who is a strong disciplinarian in this regard.
I remembered the holiday homework we had during our school days. The homework was to be done regularly to be in touch with the subjects of study, but the relaxed schedule would throw me off bounds landing me into a heap full of homework just a few days before the reopening creating apprehensiveness, regret and stress. The work would be poorly done and the marks  would make me  feel ashamed. In the growing years I developed the habit of watching Television serials giving me great pleasure in the sob stories, I would creep into the character of moaning for no reason while pitying myself for having the worst in life. My studies were neglected leading me to  a stark reality with the announcement of the results. I could hear the voice of procrastination trying to console me saying there is always a next time.
Procrastination leads to self-deception where the person convinces himself that he had used his time effectively, but the time lost can never be retrieved. Procrastination ends when one plans and prioritises the quality use of time. Life is memorable and  fulfilling when one is satisfied with a job done well whether it is an examination, a mere household chore or a deed as simple as filing papers for leading an organised life. Procrastination ends when one recognises the need to commit oneself to a task with great importance and  tries to the stick to deadlines diligently


“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success”  Israelmore Ayivor

Comments

  1. Thank you Vimala, thanks for reading and helping me reinstate a conviction in my narratives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online