Skip to main content

A Noble Deed

One who is worth idealizing does not care whether others idealize them or not- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

After a long time I grabbed the opportunity to watch a movie. The movie was the Hindi Movie ‘Chalk and Duster’. It was a student who managed to send it to me through mail. As I was unwell, I could  do nothing more than enjoying the movie. The movie caught my attention well because of my long years of experience as a school teacher. The movie pictured many aspects of teaching and focussed the life of teachers in a private institution. Every incident refreshed happenings in my life. I wondered how the director of the movie understood the role of teachers in a private institution so intricately.  The schools I had worked for proved to  have  similar situations like the absence of chairs for the teachers, there were schools where teachers were penalized for coming late, there were schools where the teachers who marketed themselves were  well appreciated, yet I had always taken these as a part of life. I never let it linger beyond a particular moment as the aspiration we looked towards  was imparting knowledge and guiding children towards their goal. What moved me most in the growing years as a teacher was that each student looked forward to a kind word, a response to their greetings or just a beautiful smile. I found this played a great role, even in the college.  One  of the students in the college where I taught  sported an unhappy look saying ‘ma’am, this is the fourth time I greeted you a Good Morning’, It would take me time to help him understand that by and large  the teacher is predisposed with other pressures in the institution.
Values and moral judgements of a teacher are well assessed by children, the teacher on the other hand needs a keen sense of judgement to understand the moral philosophies of the child. It requires the teacher to be multidimensional as a class has forty students from varied backgrounds, each one reflecting different viewpoints making the job of the teacher utmost difficult. Here the teacher is responsible for the collective transformation as each student is a reflection of a mini society. The forty minute period has to be well planned and articulated well without hurting sentiments. Each little one feels its world is the best like the frog in the well and hesitates to step out of the closed mindset. It is the teacher who actually does the job of saddling the student with attitudes and aptitudes into a larger world.
The movie helped me recollect numerous incidents, but I wish to narrate about a little girl who brought all the children in a class closer. It was one of the sections of class seventh then. I was their class teacher. The little girl was lean, brownish with an oblong face with waist length hair woven into a braid, not very tall and was not extraordinarily brilliant. She loved to listen to me as I would talk to the children sometimes as a scientist, a doctor or a chemist. I taught them general science, but the class was bright, enthusiastic and astonishingly punctual. During the lunch break they would discover new things and drag me to show new phenomenon and their observations. This little girl remained lost, smiled less in the proficient class. I could read the students easily, the ones scolded by their parents carried an awful temper, the well appreciated ones were eager, filled with zeal, the sick ones were lethargic, waiting to reach home while this girl was thoroughly anxious. She would trail behind yet hesitate to tell me. I believed in giving space and time to kids as I knew they  would definitely unburden their heart to me.  The faltering was to be sure that I would not discuss it in the staff room.
She would carry books, linger to see what I did. I would drive her away saying I was busy. One morning I reached very early, I felt I would set things in the cupboard in the classroom. As I reached the classroom, she sat clutching her stomach. I smiled and pretended not to see the painful expression and asked her how she had reached earlier. She now came to help me and toyed around and asked me ‘ ma’am, what is the uterus and is it important in the body’. I told her it was a bag for carrying the baby and I would be teaching the lesson very soon. She asked me many questions, it was a heart to heart conversation and at the end she said ‘I am going to be operated next week. My uterus will be removed. My mother says it is the best’. I gathered my wits and sat with her. The classroom was slowly getting filled with boisterous kids, my hand kept supporting the little girl’s hand. I never knew that till one of the girls came running and said ma’am hold my hand too. I held her hand with my other hand. I quickly wrote a note in the little girl’s diary asking her mother to meet me. I rushed to the office and made a call to her mother nervously as the girl had told me that in a couple of days she would stop coming.
The next day the mother came, she seemed fine and happy. I took her aside to understand whether what the girl  had told me was true. The mother burst into tears saying, she had a malignant growth of cells in the uterus and the doctors had advised her to go ahead with the operation. She looked at me and said that her daughter’s life was more important to her than her uterus. A second opinion was taken and only the malignant cells were removed due to the intervention of the school. The uterus remained safe.
 We never looked back. The whole class pumped the little girl with tremendous energy and get well cards. She came back happy and stood in front of the class and said ‘ Ma’am, it was good to be ill as I got lots of love and concern from my friends, I never knew how I recovered miraculously’.
My class learnt many lessons that day. They learnt the art of giving happiness, they learnt the art of gratitude for the life they had and learnt the art of being united despite diversities. It taught me many lessons. It gave me the understanding that I may teach many students, but for an individual the teacher is the sole one, and so the teacher needs to share a special consideration for each one. I learnt that being with kids never let me know whether the institution I worked for cared about me as an individual or not, I had many more responsibilities above that to lead a meaningful life.


Comments

  1. Yes, the thought of removing the uterus of a small girl is cruel..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I learnt that being with kids never let me know whether the institution I worked for cared about me as an individual or not, I had many more responsibilities above that to lead a meaningful life"...

    This is the punching line of this post Jyo ma'am....... Teacher's indeed face lot of troubles, some face fearlessly and some let go as it come.... Excellent post... Feeling happy the little girl recovered from illness.

    You were always The Best Teacher i ever met, me really blessed to have you in my life.

    Long Live Healthy n Pinky :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online