Skip to main content

Fresh as Daisy


My husband’s aunt Kakakka turned 90 years old a few months back. She lives in Mumbai and can speak English, Hindi, Konkani, Malayalam, Tamil …and the list is endless. She doesn’t look a year more than seventy. We have always seen her wear bright coloured saris with her curly hair coiled into a tiny bun at the nape of her neck. She is young at heart and not an old soul. These days she has started wearing long gowns but her face has the same vibrant smile with a well-kept set of teeth. Recently her son gifted her a smartphone and the first thing she learnt to use was’WhatsApp’. It gave her a great opportunity to connect with her family in Kerala. She joined the family group and began updating herself. During the lockdown, she also began using video chat. My husband has been her favourite nephew. My husband goes to meet her once in a while and they chat for long hours. Sometimes the conversation goes on till dawn and during these long sessions, she would take my husband through the magical lanes of memory chuckling and giggling at the numerous anecdotes.

That afternoon, the video chat showed us the cheerful face of Kakakka, we all spoke to her but many times she would show us her hair. We asked her to hold the mobile straight. She told my husband in Malayalam, ‘Mone, I am taking my ear close to the phone to listen to you’. We said, ‘Why don’t you use your earphones’. She was puzzled and we decided to show her a normal set of earphones that are available free with any smartphone. She asked the maid to help her with the earphones and smiled gleefully saying, ‘Now I can listen to you both’. She showered me with appreciation saying that I looked beautiful and so on.  We conversed on various topics and the topic of nature and plants came up. I told her, ‘Akka, why not see the plants that grow in our garden, our balcony I mean’. 
We had bunches of freshly bloomed red and pink roses that had pushed their heads across the wall. I felt it would cheer her up. I showed her the roses and suddenly a hibiscus peeped into her vision. She asked me, ‘Which flower is that one, Jyothi? I quickly focused the camera of the phone on the plant. The dark pinkish single whorled hibiscus was from our uncle’s home in Tiruvalla. The plant was just a year old but had grown well and put its bobbing head above the wall of the balcony. She loved listening to the story and I turned into a narrator for her.
I then walked to the balcony adjoining the sitting room where I showed her the three feet tall curry leaf plant called ‘Kadhi-Patta’. She now turned childish and said, ‘Can I pluck one leaf, bring it close, let me smell it…’ 
I said, ‘Take two but the ones that are on the lower end’.

I began showing her the Christmas tree. I told her that I had brought it from the man-made forest, it was just a twig then and two years back when it did not have a strong stem, I brought some decoration items during Christmas to hang them on the tree. I had removed most of them but a glowing silvery bulb and a tiny drum were still visible on the branches. She loved it, said, ‘Take it closer, It is so pretty, I love Christmas plant…’
I then showed her the tiny frail bamboo plants with a maroon laughing Buddha stuck in the sand. I focussed the camera of the phone on the triangular corner where we had let plants like money plants and many others grow into an amazon forest kind of wilderness. Amongst those plants were the coloured Colocasia leaves. She jumped in delight and said, ‘Do you have Colocasia? I said, ‘It is an ornamental species, the leaves have a pink colouration on the veins’. She then glanced at the Basil plants, we had three varieties. I showed her the Periwinkle, and the lemongrass shoots, the ginger plant jounced its head into the camera of the phone with its green foliage. I showed her the short stout shoots of Dates and came back to lemongrass. 

She hadn’t used it for long and so I rested the phone camera on the long grassy shoots. She suddenly saw a Golden flat leaf-like dish in the Amazon forest like wilderness and asked me about it. I had a porcelain pot, a tiny one filled with water under the coloured Colocasia leaves placed in the golden flat dish.I told her, ‘The porcelain pot was an attractive artefact until its lid fell off and broke into pieces, we moved the pot into the wilderness and now the wild-bees drink water here’. She loved the way I created the effects with the phone, the same small spot was transformed into a movie for her. She said, ‘I love these plants, I will come in the night and carry the plants to my home.’ I nodded in affirmation. She said, ‘I can’t travel but the plants can…’ I promised a truck-full as soon as the lockdown owing to the Pandemic was eased.
She craved to see more plants and I began showing her the maroon roses, the orange and red Hibiscus, Jasmine and white Periwinkle. I talked to her and walked to the balcony facing the garden of our building. The clumps of chia plant attracted her and she suddenly saw the terracotta lantern, I focussed the phone on it while saying, ‘This was bought last Diwali to highlight the glow of the lamps giving the place a rustic look,’. She yelled and said, ‘There’s Eiffel Tower too,’. 
Well, that was bought three years back, it was golden but it lost its lustre and resembles the Eiffel tower with its cast-iron look’, I said
I showed her the succulent phyllode of the Brahma-kamal plant, it had a long stalk that peeped into the free space beyond the balcony and I could not pull the reddish-yellow leaf to focus but her eyes caught the thick growth of the Money plant with its huge leaves growing upwards. ‘This is fantastic’, she said and clapped her hands in glee. I whispered, ‘This is the effect of the magic pills that we bought during the flower show just before the Lockdown. 
I told her that money plants were air-purifiers and she said, ‘I must grow a few more maybe without the magic pills’. We kept speaking for a long time brooding on each plant. In the end, she said, ‘Thank you, Jyothi, let me kiss your forehead for this tryst with plants’. Those words left me glowing for a long. I forgot my work and got transported into the magical world of a second childishness, a foolish one for people but a transcendental one for the old.
 
 
 
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online