Skip to main content

Respond to Every Call that Excites your Spirit

 

When educating the minds of our youth, we must not forget to educate their hearts. –Dalai Lama

The posh reception area in Pratibha College of Management was crowded with more than a hundred people, the crowd was segregated into tiny groups. Clad in a sari, I was there for an interview. The interviewees were for assorted subjects, they were well-qualified professionals. I had enrolled for a PhD then, I was on the lookout for a few hours of teaching for undergraduates and graduates to complement my research. The interviews were for the MSC, MCA, BCA, B.Com, BSc, BBA, MBA and many others. The venue was the same for all. It was here that I met Dr Janardhan Takalkar for the first time. He was a board member of the Dept of Commerce and Management at Pune university and the Principal of Pratibha College of Commerce and Computer Studies in Pune. He asked me at the end of the interview, “Are you NET, SET or PhD qualified?” I said, “I have none of these, I am enrolled for a PhD and have no experience of teaching undergraduates or graduates.” He nodded his head smilingly, I soon got an opportunity to teach full time but I told him that I wanted to teach for a few hours and continue my research.’ He gave a beam of a smile again and took the decision immediately. I was given Business Communication for the BCA, B.Com and the MCA. I found the college a fast-growing one with well-equipped labs and libraries with the latest books, digital resources and more. I found Dr Takalkar’s leadership and academic excellence worth all the experience that I gained. He would reach earlier than the students and faculty from Ranjangaon, he would stand on the porch welcoming us with a broad smile. He dressed well for each occasion making the management address him as the ‘Royal one’. He would have casual talks with the students and knew their needs well. Any complaints regarding faculty or their teaching were handled wisely. Every meeting was an opportunity for him to address us with inspirational talk and motivate us to do our best for the students. The college then had more than 3000 students, they were adults from various strata of life but he handled the students with oneness

The college was getting ready for the National Accreditation process. Dr Takalkar was well versed with these accreditations. He began instructing and coaching us with the procedure and the documentation for an hour almost every day. He would elaborately explain the criteria and ask us to reflect on them. He would also share a few of his life experiences, he belonged to a humble family and had great difficulties but he sought education as an equaliser. He gained good education to his credit along with his PhD. He told us, “I had to survey around fifty companies for my research but I covered hundred and fifty and while I was on the search, I found land going cheap in Ranjangaon, I bought the land and built a house there. The surveys and steps in research make a difference to life, provided one puts in their heart and soul.” We would often ask him, “Isn’t the drive from Ranjangaon tiring?” He would say that it was a pleasant and beautiful way to begin the day. He would say the last stretch of drive in the city was taxing with traffic jams. He would drive early to avoid the slowing down of traffic.

The accreditation sessions would end with a general talk. Many of us were pursuing our MPhil or PhD. He would often call my name and say, ‘She will be submitting her thesis very soon.’ This would impel me to go home and put extra efforts into my research. His words gave a sense of purpose and I never neglected my research.

The next academic year Dr Takalkar turned 65 and retired from the Principal’s post. He was appointed as a Research Head in the Management College. He enjoyed being a researcher and helping students and faculty in Commerce and Management. The change brought in differences in governance, I wasn’t liking it a lot now. I continued for a few more months, I taught the BSC, BBA, BBA IB and others. The experience was good but I decided to leave the job and concentrate on the final submission of my thesis.

I called him up when the date for the final defence and viva voce was announced. He was elated and said that he would be there. He drove to Golay Hall in the University from Pratibha college with many of my friends. This made the occasion memorable with many beautiful people rejoicing a stride in my journey. It was an onerous day for Dr Takalkar who had spent more than four hours driving to and fro.

That June, I got an opportunity to teach at the MIT Academy of Engineering, I had included Dr Takalkar as a reference in my resume’. He came to know of my selection earlier than I. He called me and congratulated me saying the opportunity was a great one. It was one as it brought me across the best professionals all around Pune in the quietude of life in Alandi. Our team consisted of the best combination of faculty teaching English Language, Literature and Communication Skills. We were trained for a couple of months before we began teaching the first autonomous batch.

The campus was huge, it had a flowing river close by, fields, temples and passivity. It was far from the city but a world on its own. Though I had all the comforts, a driver to drop me home, I found the long hours tiring, and my health failing. The college was kind and adjusted the timings yet I found the long travel taking a toll. I put in my resignation at the end of the academic year. When I informed Dr Takalkar, he was disheartened especially because it was a great place for professional growth. He said, “It is all right, if you are comfortable with the decision, don’t worry about it.’ I told him that I had left a family at MITAOE and could join back any day…my answer made him cheerful once again.

My circle of friends and well-wishers kept growing but I never lost touch with Dr Takalkar. He was busy writing his experiences, sharing inspiring value-based stories of a strong willingness to learn, grow professionally and do justice through our teaching. He believed in touching lives through simplicity and sincerity. His visit to Norway for a few months brought in great new experiences. He made visits to Norway University to enhance his understanding of education in a foreign place. He shared pictures and his experiences as valuable write-ups.

When the first wave of Pandemic set in, he set in a new goal of writing about his MPhil and PhD students. He also appreciated all those who set a mark above their capability in academic excellence. I would often appreciate his adaptability to a situation and the ability to enhance his knowledge no matter what the situation was. He would address me as Dr Jyothi whenever he replied to value the headway in education.

The second wave of Pandemic set in, and Dr Takalkar had revamped technologically. He began making videos in Marathi and English based on his life’s philosophies. He sharing these regularly. His replies to his morning messages were so regular that I failed to notice the absence for three days. The next morning I was surprised to see my friend hosting his photograph with a farewell note. She said Dr Takalkar was affected by COVID 19 and was admitted to the hospital. He was recouping but left the world all of a sudden. Perhaps the haste to leave was a mystical call on a heavenly mission.

“Always walk through life as if you have something new to learn and you will.” — Vernon Howard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online