Skip to main content

An Expression of Love and Celebration of Life

 


My senior students recently went on a study tour. One of the students shared an excellent photograph of these girl students standing near a cliff and looking ahead towards the future on Women’s Day. Their hands were cupped to form a symbol of love. I fell in love with the photograph as it brought alive every young girl’s dream. Youth provides the opportunity to be productive and develop skills. There is an innate strength of fearlessness in it. When I asked them whether I could use their picture in my blog post, they nodded in affirmation and thereafter they kept asking me when it would be published. I decided that I would write this post celebrating womanhood. After losing a lot of observational skills lately, I decided to compliment the women around me. My girl students have been very special to me and everyone in the college community.

My day begins with a walk at 530am. I have been following a vow of silence for the first hour of my day for the past several years. It isn’t just about keeping quiet, it’s about quietening the many thoughts that keep me engaged from the start of the day. I love nature, and the silence and mindfulness in the morning are a sort of meditation for me.

Today morning when I returned back, I found the delivery boy delivering milk. I was seeing him for the first time. He looked and me and gestured with his hands. I hadn’t broken my silence and felt pleased that he did not talk to me. He picked up his phone and browsed our delivery, then cut his hand halfway to show that he was delivering half the quantity. I nodded and came in and got involved in my routine. After a while, my husband returned and said, ‘the delivery boy doesn’t speak’. Then, I felt we needed to celebrate the presence of numerous people in our lives…so I felt I would write about celebrating humanity.

When I was leaving for work, I saw numerous schoolchildren waiting for their school bus. I start a few minutes early as the school bus blocks the way for a few minutes. There’s a long queue of students waiting to enter orderly into the bus to secure their choicest seats. The little girls often ask me, ‘Kaku do you see me when you leave for work’, I smile and say, ‘Yes, every one of you’ but the fact is that I am more engrossed in my driving to not hurting anyone. Today, I stood and waved to every one of them. Their mothers stood by giving instructions. They had managed to stand long till the school bus left with the cheerful students.

When I reached my workplace, I saw the security guards working hard, waving hands and managing to send us safely. The sun’s heat had charred them but their zest seemed unfettered.

Further, I saw our gardener boy dragging the large pipe with the hose to water the plants. He was patient and stood aside when the vehicles passed by. He wears black trousers and a black shirt most days. He stands aside and watches the students go to their classes. His disappointment is momentary as you see him enjoying his gardening job despite the disappointment of not studying at a university.

At the college, the day was special for women with numerous expert talks, tips on grooming and others. The young girl kept greeting all the female faculty members gleefully. There was a friendly atmosphere among all the men and women. They taught the boys and greeted all the women with joy.

When I reached home, Pruthika was washing the basement. She was simultaneously mopping the stairs. I smiled and asked her, ‘Can I go or will I be leaving footprints?’, she smiled back and said, ‘I am yet to mop the floor, you can go’. As I began walking, she followed me. I waited for her and she said, ‘My daughter has finished her exams and is preparing for the Competitive exams. Will you help her with her admission to your college after her common entrance test’? I enquired about all the exams and she had faired extremely well without any support. I looked at Prutika and said, ‘ She won’t need my help. She has done well and could get admission to a better university. Pruthika smiled heartily and we parted.

As I glanced at the plants in the garden, I saw a small girl, no more than 4 years old, playing with her grandmother. The summer heat was intense, but the warmth made me wonder whether they felt it. The grandmother appeared to be coaxing the little girl to try out the playing bars while the little girl tried coaxing her grandmother. However, I later saw the grandmother hanging on the bars while the little girl sat by her feet and started playing in the sand.

My walk that evening led me to a crossroads in the interior lanes where an old man sold eggs. He sat close to the coconut vendor’s cart. Due to the hot evening, the coconut vendor did brisk business while the old man sat calmly watching the crowd. Evenings are busy, with many people catching up on their regular purchases. There was a far-off echo in the still, ‘Bhau, Bhau, Bhau, Bhau, bye, Bhau Bye… A scooter with a father and a five-year-old rushed past and slowed a little near the coconut vendor. The boy shouted once again, ‘‘Bhau, Bhau, Bhau, Bhau, bye, Bhau Bye… The old man selling eggs raised his head and smiled at the little boy and shouted back, ‘Bhau, Bye… Bhau in Marathi means brother, we were amazed looking at the cheer the vendor and the little boy had spread. The whole place broke into smiles.

Each day, I see numerous people, each one having a set of worries and states of happiness. Some touch me deeply like the other day when I was waiting at the traffic signal I saw a Gay dressed beautifully in a chiffon sari with danglers on his ears running helter-skelter between the cars halted at the traffic lights. In India, it’s a common sight. Many give them money but many keep their car windows closed. He was running in the hot sun knocking at every car window as he knew they would give him money. It has always been frightening to see them, as a few of them have been aggressive by clapping their hands and making loud noises. My husband would often say, “Don’t look aside and ignore them, they aren’t doing right by begging but that’s something personal. Smile at them and gesture with your hand that you will be giving them something next time”. After the first time, I often found them smiling back and never asking for anything. By the time he reached me, the traffic lights were turning green and I had a fifty rupee note that I slipped out of the window. After a while, he touched the note to his forehead and blessed me. We smiled and parted. In life, there have been difficult times, but if they are considered with love, then they are celebrations of life.

“Take the time to celebrate stillness and silence and see the joy that the world can bring, simply.”― Tony Curl,



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online