Skip to main content

Nurturing Minds is the Deeper Essence of Education

 

Nurturing Minds is the Deeper Essence of Education


There is nothing more commendable in life than your student sharing his achievements, especially if it is a long-term goal. Prathamesh had qualified for admission into technical postgraduate programs through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Computer Engineering (GATE). He had enrolled at one of India’s most prestigious institutions to pursue his higher education. Many of these exams are tougher than others, and getting into these programs is not easy. His appreciation for my help with his accomplishments puzzled me. Although I hadn’t taught him, I realized that students can be inspired by more than just their teachers’ instruction.

I paused and read his message, feeling grateful for his words of appreciation but it hurled down the memory lane….

Every year we bid farewell to one batch of students and welcome another batch of students. During their undergraduate course, they are with us for four years. There is a strong bond between the students and the faculty members they like, and the students learn a lot of technical and life skills from them. Over the past several years in Engineering, I have come across numerous students. I have learnt many life lessons from them. In the initial years, I was the only one who had my cabin in the Training and placement cell. There are two big group discussion halls and a few cabins for the interviews. I sit in the last cabin which is open on three sides and has windows all around. In the early years, many student volunteers worked in other cabins and spent time there. While leaving they would lock the cell and hand over the keys responsibly.

In my second year at the institute, I came across this batch of students who showed me various hues of life. It was their first day in a course named Soft Skills. The course contained a lot of Business Communication skills and Professional Development. I asked each one of them to introduce themselves with their names and something special and unique about themselves. While each one said something special, I came across this lean and small-looking boy named Prathamesh who said, ‘ My strength is that I never get deterred by problems in life. I am confident about solving any problem that I come across and learn through the experience.

How do you say this with great confidence, I said

‘I have lived in a hostel away from my family and have experienced this’.

The talk was a learning experience for me. Thereafter, the whole batch grew very special in their own ways.

There was a day when I found one of the students missing, ‘Where is Vishnu? Said I.

They said, ‘He has lost his mother who was suffering from Cancer’. She was ill for long ma’am. Vishnu has reconciled to the fact.

The batch had warmth for each other and lots of cooperation. The exercises brought out the best and I would love listening to each one. Prathamesh’s experiences were unique as he wasn’t as secure or protected as others, his family lived in another city.

As the term was almost towards the end, I did not see Prathamesh for a long time. When he returned he was leaner and frail-looking. I looked at him questioningly.

He said, ‘I do not know the reason for my sickness but I have never been this sick’.

‘Prathamesh, you are the one who has always found solutions to challenges in life, said I

He looked at me and nodded and said, ‘This time it is a more difficult one’.

The atmosphere in the room quickly shifted as he made a gesture that suggested a sense of defeat or loss. Everyone’s faces reflected concern and unease as they listened to him.

Time is the best healer and Prathamesh bounced back from his difficult situation.

The pandemic set in just before the end of their second year. We began having online classes but we were all in chaos and our minds in turmoil.

One day Prathamesh sent me a message asking me how to wean from WhatsApp. I wondered how to answer this as I was addicted to the application just like anyone else. Having read a little about it, I said, ‘ Just be cautious about how many times you touch the mobile and respond to messages, if it’s almost 18 times in an hour, it is serious.

He said, ‘It is more than that, ma’am, as all the correspondence happens on WhatsApp

‘I think you should begin giving a break to the device’, said I

He said he would do that and gradually his time was devoted to his studies.

He completed his graduation during the pandemic and began working but he was always there to help out his juniors with his wise experiences. During the mock group discussions for the juniors, he would join online and help the students understand the exact feelings and advise them on how to go about it. The peer interactions did wonders.

The pandemic came to an end and we were back to offline classes…the interactions with Prathamesh were less. We all fell back into our roles.

On hearing the news of Prathamesh’s success, I recollected how my students often come to discuss their goals, challenges, and aspirations, including job interviews and further education opportunities. Many of them are highly motivated and take responsibility for their own learning just as Prathamesh, which is quite different from the traditional approach to education. They learn on their own and the teacher’s role is merely inspirational here.

It also led me to my childhood teachers who have been special in my life. When I lost my mother in the tenth grade, they came leaving their jobs to console us. We did not feel very lonely in my mother’s absence for the next few weeks due to the numerous friends and my loving teachers. When the weeks wore off, we began feeling Mother’s absence. The winter exams were on, I hadn’t prepared much and finished it earlier than others. I sat outside waiting for my friends. As I looked into the corridor I saw my English teacher, Mr Kazi call me. I was fond of Mr. Kazi’s English classes as he was informal. We could talk a lot, place our opinions and discuss them freely. He was elderly and treated us kindly.

Mr. Kazi said, Are you better?

I looked at him but said nothing.

He said, We do come across such situations, it’s difficult to accept it but life goes on. We may keep contemplating ‘why me’, but that doesn’t change the situation. The best that you can do is think of all the love your mother gave you and do your best.

When the whole world had almost forgotten the situation, these words were inspirational. It gave me strength whenever I felt low. I did not do well for many years but the words would ring in me always. As someone who has worked in the field of teaching, I have come to appreciate that it is a true privilege. Students like Prathamesh exemplify this truth even further.

Education is the art of nurturing minds, and within those minds lies the power to ignite a future that knows no bounds.” — Unknown


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online