Skip to main content

Welcome Joy with an Open Heart and Make Every Moment Count

 


The beginning is always today- Mary Shelley

A friendly and warm welcome can make a world of difference. It’s not just about a smile but it’s a great start towards building a positive connection with someone.

As I strolled along the newly built flyover yesterday, I was captivated by the magnificent hues in the sky — whites, pinks, purples, oranges, and a dark grey that surrounded the setting sun. To my right, I noticed an elderly man sitting in his place, gazing at his mobile phone. What drew my attention, however, was the little pug sitting next to him, constantly nudging him to drop the phone and take a walk with him. The old man paid no attention, but the pug lovingly placed its head on his left shoulder, then his right. The evening was lively with three other dogs playfully rushing around. The golden brown Spaniel moved gracefully, the German Shepherd took huge leaps, and the pale Labrador followed the fun. Although the other dogs came close to the pug, it remained seated next to its master, coaxing him repeatedly with low yelps, while the German Shepherd leapt into the sky to catch the ball thrown high. I returned to study a bit about the Pugs, they are sensitive dogs and carry the owner’s emotions it said but this little dog tried cheering its owner.

The incident took me back to a new student who joined the second year of the Engineering program after completing his diploma. I met him the first day when his parents rolled him to the class in his wheelchair. We were silent for a moment but I broke the silence and smiled at the boy asking his name. The boy smiled back and said,’ Niboth’. When I asked him about the meaning of his name, he replied that it meant “the knowledgeable one”. He quickly made friends with other students. He was also capable of operating his green-painted wheelchair, which had numerous controls. He was fair with a confident voice and his face carried the childish innocence. At times I saw him get tired and try to reach his eyes or nose to rub it but his hands weren’t like others. They would slip and fall aside as if they did not have life in them. I asked everyone to write. I felt Niboth would sit idle and watch the rest but he opened his notebook, the pen was kept on the opened book, and the task was to pull out the cap then I saw the strangest thing, Niboth rolled the pen in both hands till he got a grip of it and then flung it and caught, turned it after gripping it and then began writing. The other students had written a lot but now Niboth was quick. He wrote with a sense of urgency and passion.

The next time I met him in the classroom, his wheelchair was kept aside and he sat with a friend on the second bench. We were again writing after a brainstorming session. Niboth rolled the pen and began writing quickly. When I asked the students to read their answers, I could see his eagerness, I quickly asked him to read. He sat in his place and read what he had written loud and clear. When he finished, the whole class gave a thumping applause, he smiled shyly. His friends helped him with his bags but he never asked for help. He disliked being pitied and preferred being treated normally.

One of the days when I was teaching the students to type a cover letter for an internship, he struggled to log in to the college internet. I helped him with the details and continued paying attention to the other students. A little later I saw him wiping his forehead with great difficulty and giving me a faint smile. I said, ‘Shall I help you,’. ‘I am not able to log in ma’am’, Said Niboth. I pointed out the mistake and he was back to his work. I told him to begin from the place we all were at but he preferred to begin from the start, at the end of the class I gave the students an additional fifteen minutes to complete the work. I saw Niboth typing away tirelessly, each time the hand stood up lifeless and had to be flung on the keyboard and the lucky keys would get pressed. It was painful watching him but he smiled at me and said, ‘I want to be an App Developer,’.

‘You will be the best one, Niboth,’ said I. The students welcomed his idea with warmth and love, perhaps he needed just that.

Do cities welcome strangers to the city? It’s a question that many people ask when they move to a new place. However, an open door is a welcome that makes a stranger into a friend.

Beautiful Pune

Two decades ago, when my family and I moved to Pune, we were quite apprehensive about how well we would adjust to the new city. However, our fears were soon eased when we saw the lush greenery in the locality. The area was peaceful, with few flats and mostly row houses or bungalows. One of the highlights was the large playground with its greenery, which we could see from our kitchen window. There was even an elevated platform for Karate and a spacious ground for football and other sports. In addition, there were parks nearby and a huge man-made forest.

My son was enrolled in the Central School, and after the principal learned that I was a qualified teacher, I was invited to join the school as a teacher. The salary offered was good, and the natural beauty and pleasant weather of the place created an atmosphere of peace and serenity. The kindness and warmth of the people made us feel at home and helped us settle in easily.

As the festival of Dusshera approached a few months after our arrival in Pune, I noticed a large crowd gathering at the playground near our home. People were dancing around the deity, and a new group of individuals joined in the rhythmic dance. Initially, I was hesitant to join, but a kind hand pulled me in. As I started dancing, I felt a sudden surge of happiness and excitement. It was a wonderful feeling to be a part of the celebration and to connect with the community.

It also makes a world of difference to be welcomed warmly, the nature of welcome may differ according to the culture and traditions of the place yet one must ensure that others receive the same kind of warmth and comfort.

I make so many beginnings there never will be an end-Louisa, May Alcott,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online