Skip to main content

The saga of my Papaya

“Plant seeds of happiness, hope, success, and love; it will all come back to you in abundance. This is the law of nature.”  Steve Maraboli, 

 It looked insolently to the other side . It was no longer emerging straight, there was a characteristic bend half way through. Its body had begun to show a distinctive aridness, I wondered, were they wrinkles? It no longer bore the cheerful countenance that it had when I had first  seen it. Its leaves no longer grew to the size they used to .  There were  a few baby leaves borne in the centre at the growing axis which were perhaps too young to apprehend the thorny situation. It was at daybreak when it dawned upon me that my papaya was perhaps suffering from Progeria  a disease causing precocious maturity like Amitabh Bachchan  in the film Paa. The only difference was Amitabh was suffering from a genetic disease while my papaya’s was environmental . I sat at the doorway looking at it fondly as I reminisced the day we went to the Nursery near Royal Casa apartments. The Nursery of plants was a huge one with a central office all embedded and enraptured in plants which gave the place a Costa Rica like appearance. It was nearly six in the evening when we had entered the gates  welcomed by a variety of hibiscus plants and other attractive plants.The nursery was covered with a green net for a few plants while the others were lying exposed. Probably for a few plants it was extra protection from UV radiations  or the infrared radiations of the sun. I impetuously walked till the end of the freshly watered nursery and estimated whether some of these plants would be a delight for the cynosure’s eye. I felt regal while selecting the timid plants who then seemed like the slaves who festooned the Greek homes.
I ultimately decided on a few plants in the flowering and fruiting categories.There were many Papaya plants reserved  in plastic wrap and in mud pots. I cast a quick look to see this little plant which was the one I really treasured. I affectionately ran my fingers through its leaves just as we cuddle little children . I picked a miniature fruiting lemon plant too along with a few petunias and chrysanthemums. It was to begin a little terrace garden.
We bought long pots where two three plants had to share the space. But my Papaya and lemon got independent pots to flourish in. I glowed in pride as I transplanted the Papaya into its new living space  and declared that the first Papaya fruit would go to my earnest maid. My maid works in homes due to her ardour for work. She is not a needy one but her genuineness and conscientiousness towards her occupation has always fascinated me. A Papaya would definitely be a reward. She looked at me fair-mindedly and said the plant needed space to spread its roots. Her expression  fell on deaf years as nothing could tamper my zeal . I felt  I could nurture it with all that money could procure and it would definitely be wheedled to grow and fruit.
Today as I looked at the frail papaya plant I felt I had sinned by captivating its capacities. Perhaps it would have grown better in  the soil of any unkempt ground with bare essentials. I had given it everything needed for growing and  blooming but somewhere I had not cared about the expected  space it needed. It unexpectedly reminded me of children who are reared with all the care and conveniences to succeed but fail to do well perhaps because they never get their own space to exploit their potentials. In all probability their potentials were ruined by their overwhelming parents and occasionally by their teachers.

Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”  William Jennings Bryan





Comments

  1. Very true - I feel this when I see so many mothers carrying their kids in their laps unnecessarily. The two-year olds can walk. Should they not be allowed to walk? I think they should also be allowed to stumble and fall - we should only keep a watch and see that they don't get hurt too badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True sir, while nurturing many of us kill the decision making power of children.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online