Skip to main content

Money Money

Wealth has to be won by deeds of glory. Rig Veda
Money has varied significance and is viewed differently depending upon what it means to the person. It is a retreat for a rich person to spend it while it is a measure to buy basic necessities for a poor person. Money is also viewed as a status symbol as it can buy you diamonds and  other possessions to flaunt. People say they are basic necessities, but still money can buy a dwelling but not a home, riches can buy a bed but not a goodnight’s sleep, it can buy food but not an appetite or hunger. It can buy a coffin, but not the affection of people who will miss you and mourn for you. These basics are perhaps evoked through goodwill gained by people rather than money earned. True value of money is actually known to those who are in a financial crisis with its need for food and clothing.
Every year an employee is given an increment in the pay. An employed person looks forward to this to plan life with greater purchases like a bigger home and perhaps more comforts, better clothes and accessories. My friend, who is a teacher and who is also my source of inspiration in life informed me about a raise in her pay. She is a Gandhian and believes in the sayings of Buddha and so never feels deeply elated regarding the rise in pay or unduly unhappy in its absence. She also believes in having minimum needs while helping out the poor and the needy. She is a good multi tasker managing her home and job and many other things with great patience never speaking about hardships or her unhappiness. Many a times we do discuss these, but it is always with a positive note that life would have never been wonderful but for these challenges in life which bounce  a person back. Off late she had begun taking her mother for an expensive treatment, but still when the increment was announced the first thing she did was support an orphan’s meals for the whole year. She told me that our needs are never ending and no amount of wealth can actually satiate the heart of a human being, but a good deed can definitely be a solace.
It reminded me of my student  who is in his crucial years of studies. This boy made a place in my heart for having fought difficulties in life with a spirit which no elder can.  With a stepmother at home, he did have a number of emotional problems which left him disheartened. He would wash, clean and work at home and still concentrate the most in the class.  Over the years, he won over his mother’s love through diligence. Money was much-sought after at his home being a huge family with  his father being the sole breadwinner.  I met him the last time before he left Pune to join his father. I gave him some of my son’s books. I asked him to be in touch and to inform me when  he needed money. It has been over a year. He has always been in touch to share all his happiness and accomplishments, but has never asked me for any financial help. When I would volunteer he would tell me intensely that he did not need it then.
For the past  few months, I was busy in my own world trying to blend in all those wonderful activities of leisure and study that I had, when I  left my job last year with my part time job. It gave me a deep sense of understanding that life needs to be enjoyed in tranquility. I have worked for years and  have always felt that there was great joy in working and earning money. However, I realized that I never had the time to actually enjoy life as after every Saturday came a Sunday and then it was Monday again. Sundays went in planning and the week went in execution of the plan. Being a school teacher a lot of work was carried home, the small things in life such as a walk, a song, a sketch, a trek  and every delight in life including my deep love for nature were far flung. Years flew by and I really wish I had lived these years more joyfully as I do now.
Last week he called me to know how I was. I felt sheepish that I had forgotten this little boy when his endeavours were the greatest being in the twelfth standard. I quickly asked, whether he was fine and did he need anything. The boy paused and said ‘mam can’t I speak to you when I have no problems in life’. I blessed the boy as I enquired more about him, he said that he needed my address with the pin code as he had turned into a tutor and taught a few eleventh standard students. He said he earned a thousand rupees. I was overwhelmed at the gesture. I knew what that money meant for him and his family. He uses his bicycle to commute fourteen kilometres to school, works at home and studies most of his studies on his own never grieving the absence of money or luxuries, but still he felt like sharing his first pay with his teacher. I now realised that generosity and true value of money  are perhaps  strengths in those who lack it.
Money is like love; it kills slowly and painfully the one who withholds it, and enlivens the other who turns it on his fellow man. KhalilGibran


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wealth for Lakshmi

“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”   ―   Mother Teresa ‘ A ayi ’  refers to m other in Marathi, but Lakshmi had graduated from a mother, to a grandmother. Her daughter and her grandchildren loved calling her ‘Aayi’ in Konkani.  She was a native of the lush green Konkan. Aayi began her life with ‘ abu ’ Jagannath in the city of warangal in Andhra Pradesh. She was a tall, healthy lady and Jaggnath a good looking, lean and handsome man. Together they made a handsome couple not only looks wis e, but also mannerism wise. Lakshmi’s family was a large one consisting of seven sisters and the youngest one was the much awaited sibling brother. Her parents were ecstatic over the birth of a boy after seven sisters. The sisters treasured their kid brother. Lakshmi and her sisters got married early owing to the social norms and customs. Lakshmi was blessed with a daughter and a son. The daughter was a replica of Jagannath, the same chiseled features, fa

The Most Beautiful one

The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation. Corrie Ten Boom Neela looked at her daughter lovingly, the baby had an attractive smile. She kept gazing at her contented smile as she caressed her hair backwards. The child was a stout baby, the sparse hair on her head was just enough to cover the bald head, and then her eyes focussed the cleft lip. She nev er wanted the little girl to get what she had found the most difficult in life to cope with. Neela loved the fact that her daughter Naina was healthy,  she had  the most beautiful eyes and so the name, ‘Naina’ was the most pertinent. However, the neighbours and family who had come for the naming ceremony, failed to notice the large eyes with the dark eyeballs. They only pitied Neela for having given birth to a look-alike daughter who they felt would find it difficult getting a handsome husband. Neela had a cleft lip, but was the most charming woman who could cook, dance, sing and keep the whole co

Forever a Teacher

“I'm not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”   ―   George Bernard Shaw Neethi saw the message and could not help smiling, it said “ Neethi Amma, I said Good morning and Good night, why no reply”. Neethi started musing at the past  when life took her backwards.  Neethi had been a school teacher for years when she had reared children lovingly. Her life had been customary for thirty five years. It involved an early  morning rouse , cooking brea kfast, lunch, packing all the lunch boxes for her children and husband and managing the maid with the other chores. At the school, she taught sciences for the secondary children and loved learning new things. Her children and husband had been a great help in her successful career. The kids flew away to their own nests with time   leaving Neethi and husband to fend for themselves. Neethi had retired last year, she joined the virtual world quickly as an online